Artisan’s Asylum is run by a very small paid staff and a large number of dedicated volunteers. We have dozens of people, with a wide range of skills and interests, working hard on creating a space and community to support the work we all want to do.
Some volunteer work requires a significant commitment of time and involves some membership-related compensation, and some requires very little commitment and is compensated by pizza and thanks. Some is high on the physical effort required, and some is entirely computer-based.
Here is a short and incomplete list of the types of work our volunteers do:
- Sitting desk during open hours and maintaining our member database
- Outreach and publicity (in person and in print, various media)
- Creating and implementing marketing/fundraising plans for new craft areas
- Graphic/web design
Technical shop skills
- Building (sometimes designing) simple furniture
- Keeping shop areas organized & neat
- Basic tool maintenance
- Checking out new members on tool use
- Cleaning shops and common spaces: sweeping, taking out the trash
- Running errands
If you are interested in helping us on a regular basis, please fill out this survey to let us know more about your interests, skills, and availability. We’ll be in touch! Whatever your background, if you’re interested in learning more, please click here to signup for our volunteers mailing list, or contact us at volunteers [at] artisansasylum.com. We’d love to hear from you.