Can’t wait to get started? The classes below still have a few seats available!
- Tool Training: Basic Woodworking Tools, 10:30am-1:30pm Sunday, April 6
- Silvercasting with Cuttlebone: Start to Finish, 12:30-5:30pm Sunday, April 6
- Glass 101: Pendants, 6:45-9:15pm Monday, April 7
- Introduction to TIG Welding, 7:30-9:30pm Mondays, April 7-28
- Metalworking Intensive, 7-10pm Wednesdays, April 9-30
- Tool Training: Rough to Smooth — Using the Miter Saw, Band Saw, Jointer & Planer, 7:30-9:30pm Wednesdays, 2-week session April 9 & 16
- Tool Training: Metalworking Support Tools, 2-5pm Saturday, April 12
Follow this link for a full list of all of our available classes running in April, May, and June!
Artisan’s Asylum is looking to add to our corps of Front Desk Volunteers! It’s an awesomely unique role in our community.
Interested in helping out? Complete our online application form here. Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday, April 7th.
Here’s the gist of what goes on and what you’ll be asked to do in this role:
Front Desk Volunteers are the Asylum’s front line greeters, our first impression for visitors and the curious, potential donors, the press, new students, and prospective members, and the first resource for existing members looking for help. It’s a very social job — if you like interacting with our community of makers and want to help out, you’ll probably enjoy this position! Much of your shifts will be spent finding information or solutions for members and orienting new members, as well as handling sales and door access and helping with paperwork.
- Excellent communication: you’ll need to be able to answer questions from members, students, and curious visitors, in person, by phone, and by email, in a friendly and professional manner.
- You’ll need the ability to triage when it becomes busy, and to direct queries you can’t answer to the appropriate staff or volunteers.
- You’ll need to be comfortable handling business transactions (student registrations, credit card transactions, etc).
- Basic computer skills are key. You don’t need to be a code monkey, but you need to be able to learn new computer applications quickly (spreadsheets/word processing, QuickBooks, wiki editing, and others).
- Since we’re a small organization that has grown a lot recently, this role also includes occasionally doing mundane things like refilling soap dispensers or taking out the trash.
In essence, Front Desk Volunteers should have a good sense of humor and a little resilience for when things get odd (we’re a maker community – it’s going to be strange some of the time), along with basic customer service skills and willingness to help out members and visitors.
Front Desk Volunteers can earn discounts on Asylum membership and tool trainings once they have finished desk training and have demonstrated a commitment to working regular shifts.
If you have additional questions about volunteering for the front desk, feel free to drop by during Artisan’s Asylum staffed hours and talk to one of our current volunteers (12pm-10pm M-Th, 10am-6pm F-Su).
We look forward to hearing from you!
Join us for a pie-ful celebration of the magical number PI!
From 7-9pm on Friday, March 14, come to Artisan’s Asylum for a potluck with a focus on pie (of any kind — don’t forget pot pies, shepherd pies, and pizza pies!) and on the important geometric value 3.14159…etc.
Prizes will be available for people’s choice and most PI inspired.
All members and their guests welcome!
Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/601439456610193/
HSMWorks for CNC Machining, 7:15-9:15pm Wednesdays, March 12 – April 2: Learn to program for powerful CNC machines!
Design Drawing for Makers, 7:45-9:45pm Mondays, March 17 – April 7: Start the design process from the very beginning.
Manual Machining & Layout, 7:45-9:45pm Thursdays, March 13 – April 17, and 1-3pm Sundays, March 16 – April 20: Learn your way around manual mills and lathes!
Tool Training: Manual Metalworking Lathe, 7:15-9:45pm Monday, March 17: Basic training on the metal lathe.
Working with Foam, 7:45-10pm Wednesdays, March 19 – April 9: Learn the advantages of creative fabrication in the light and flexible medium of foam!
Tool Training: Rough to Smooth — Using the Miter Saw, Band Saw, Jointer & Planer, 7:30-9:30pm Wednesdays, March 19 & 26: Get comfortable with some of the more advanced tools in the woodshop.
NEW! Introduction to Robotics: Programming a Line-Following, Maze-Solving Robot, 7:30-9:30pm Thursdays, March 20 – April 10: Program your first robot!
Single-Color Screen Printing: A One-Day Introduction, 11am-4pm Saturday, March 22: Learn your way around printing your own t-shirts at the Asylum!
NEW! Intro to Wax Carving for Casting Jewelry, 10am-5pm Saturday, March 22: Explore silver casting using wax as your casting base!
Artisan’s Asylum is run by a very small paid staff and a large number of dedicated volunteers. We have dozens of people, with a wide range of skills and interests, working hard on creating a space and community to support the work we all want to do!
If you’re interested in helping out, check out some of our active volunteer opportunities & committees! (all email is @artisansasylum.com)
More information and list of quick helpful tasks you can do at the Asylum at http://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.php/Category:Volunteering
Front Desk – greeting, phones, email, sales.
Want to help? Email member-services@
Communications Committee – creative projects and strategic initiatives in visual communications, marketing and events
Want to help? Email communications-com-subscribe@
Facilities Committee – cleaning shops, taking out garbage, building infrastructure, maintaining & repairing tools.
Want to help? Join the mailing list by sending mail to facilities-com-subscribe@
Events Committee – planning, running, and promoting Artisan’s Asylum events.
Want to help? Join the mailing list by sending mail to events-com-subscribe@
Fundraising Committee – helping us raise money through events, individual appeals, and corporate sponsorships
Want to help? Join the mailing list by sending mail to fundraising-com-subscribe@
IT Committee – help maintain and improve the Artisan’s Asylum information technology infrastructure and tools
Want to help? Join the mailing list by sending mail to it-com-subscribe@