A2 Board of Directors Recruits Member Liaison
The Artisan’s Asylum’s bylaws provide for the election of a Member Liaison to the Board of Directors. This is great opportunity for a diplomatic individual with a broad interest in the Artisan’s community and the organization. The position description follows. The nomination process for Member Liaison begins on October 10 and runs through October 23.
Artisans’ Asylum Member Liaison to the Board
Volunteer Position Description
Artisan’s Asylum’s mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practice of fabrication. For more information, please Artisan’s Asylum’s website at www.artisansasylum.com.
The mission of the Member Liaison to the Board of Directors (“Member ”) is to facilitate an independent perspective between the board and members. This position does not hold fiduciary responsibilities yet provides a method for Directors to seek independent information and validate efforts of the Executive Director. The Member supports the work of Artisan’s Asylum by providing mission-based guidance and operational insight to the Board of Directors based on community input. The Member Liaison expands the Executive Director’s strategic and operational guidance by sharing relevant perspectives held throughout the member community.
The Member also provides perspective during board discussion and decisions impacting members. Day-to-day operations are led by Artisan’s Asylum’s Executive Director (ED); the Board-Member relationship is a partnership and the Member Liaison plays an important role in fostering good Board and community relations. Appropriate involvement of Member perspectives is both critical and expected.
Specific Member Liaison responsibilities include:
- Communication liaison between Artisan’s member community and the board; this is carried out through written correspondence, attendance at meetings, and public presentations.
- Serve as a trusted sounding board and advisor to the Board and the ED as they develop and implement Artisan’s Asylum’s strategic plan.
- Bring important member perspectives to the board, including accomplishments and celebration, needs, aspirations and challenges.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director.
- With the Executive Director and board members as needed, facilitate timely and effective community conversations around mission- and strategy related topics.
Board Terms and Meetings
The Artisan’s Asylum’s Member Liaison will be elected by members to serve a one-year term. In order to stand for election, candidates mus have been a member for at least six months. Member liaison are eligible for re-election.
Board meetings are held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
The Member Liaison is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Artisan’s Asylum’s mission, who has a track record of engaging members in constructive efforts and conversation, and who has experience in community, board, or other forms of leadership.
Member Liaison should have have familiarity with constituencies within the member community, a strong grasp of operations, and is a pro-active participant in community life. Ideal candidates contribute to the well-being of the Artisan’s community through volunteering, instruction, project builds, community outreach — and making awesome things!
Candidates should also:
- Have some professional experience leading to familiarity and comfort with board procedures and limitations.
- A professional skill set could help to advance the mission of Artisan’s Asylum and strengthen accountability, for example finance, legal expertise, communications and business development and fundraising.
- An openness and willingness to serve as a neutral liaison among members, the board, and the Executive Director.
- A commitment to deepening one’s understanding of Artisan’s Asylum’s business model, beneficiaries, and impact.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Artisan’s Asylum’s members, community partners and participants.
- Passion for making at all levels, with a desire to advance the field and the organization’s stature within it.
Service as Artisan’s Asylum’s Member Liaison is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Member Liaison duties.