January Classes Still on Sale; New February Classes Opening!
Some of our January Classes Still Available!
- NEW! Metalworking Intensive 1-Day Workshops, Sunday 1/8 and 1/22 — In one 6-hour session, learn the basics of professional-grade steel construction skills in the building of metal worktables for Artisan’s Asylum. By the end of the session, students will have learned all the skills necessary to building load-bearing steel structures, including cutting, milling, grinding, jigging, and MIG welding.
- Woodworking Intensive: Workbenches, 1 SEAT LEFT! Saturdays 1/7-2/11 — This is a woodworking class for anyone looking to work on a large scale. A professional woodworker will be guiding students through the construction of professional work tables to be installed in Artisan’s Asylum. By the end of the session, students will learn how to use almost every tool in the woodshop at an intermediate level.
- Introduction to Leatherworking, 2 SEATS LEFT! Sundays, 1/8-2/5 — This class introduces students to the craft of leatherworking. Students will learn how to use the basic tools involved, and will learn stamping, carving, finishing, and more in this 5-session course.
- Introduction to Sewing, Thursdays, 1/12-1/26 — Learn your way around a sewing machine while making a pair of comfortable drawstring pants. You can learn on our machines or bring your own.
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance, 3 SEATS LEFT! Wednesdays 1/4-1/25 — You may know how to ride your bicycle, but if you don’t know how to take care of it you’ll end up losing speed, causing damage, or stranded with a flat tire. Get your bike skills in shape before you hit the road again in the spring!
Electronics & Robotics
- Robotics Intensive, 3 SEATS LEFT! Tuesdays 1/10-3/27 — This 12 week course puts students on an 8-12 person robotics team that’s walked through the design, fabrication, assembly and programming process of creating a 300 pound autonomous robot from scratch. The team will create a robotic vending machine that autonomously travels through Artisan’s Asylum playing “The Entertainer”, avoiding pedestrians and docking at a recharge station.
- Electronic Thing-A-Week, 2 SEATS LEFT! Wednesdays 1/11-1/25 — Tired of the delayed gratification of long, arduous projects? This three-week smorgasbord is for you! Drew and Steve will be guiding you through a series of electronics kit-based projects: an LED Blinky Kit, a Sound-to-Light Modulator, and an Optical Theremin. Every day you spend with them you can take a finished project home. Discount if you sign up for all three by the end of the first class!
- Hovercraft Design Challenge, Friday, 1/27 to Sunday, 1/29 — Participate in the first of many design challenges at Artisan’s Asylum! Spend 48 hours on a team of 3-4 people creating a remote-control hovercraft from scratch. Teams get a kit of parts that contains all of the motors and electronics they need, and have to create a hovercraft to compete in a public race through a giant empty warehouse.
- Tool Training: 3D Printer — Artisan’s Asylum is acquiring a uPrint SE Plus 3D printer in late December. This class will fully train and prepare students for using the 3D printer independently, whenever they need projects made. Members who have taken this class will receive a substantial discount on materials when using the printer to make 3D models.
- 8bit Sound Design and Music Composition, Mondays 1/9-2/27 — Learn how to compose and produce 8bit music like you would find in classic arcade and videogames! Students will learn how to use LSDJ to create original scores, and will share their results with the class.
- Overthrow Sound: A first course in electronic music production, Wednesdays 1/4-1/25 — Learn how to produce all sorts of electronic music in the Ableton Live/Suite environment, with a number of other add-ons and programs to help your composition. Jam with classmates and the instructor as you learn how to produce your own music from scratch!
- Advanced Photo Techniques: HDR and Panoramic Compositing, Saturdays 1/7-1/28 — Learn how to properly take and then compile (both manually and automatically) High Dynamic Range and Panoramic images using your own camera. The class will be taught with both Photoshop and GIMP, so students can edit images in both high-end photo software and freeware
- Camera Hacking, Saturdays 1/7-2/11 — Modify or build your own photographic equipment from scratch to get cool effects! Learn how to hack your own camera in a number of ways to take cool new types of pictures.
If you’re just looking for the quick overview of safe tool operations, our 2-hour Tool Training classes are still available every week in January. Trainings will be scheduled by email according to your schedule, the week before your ticket.
- Tool Training: Basic Machine Tools — For complete novices and as a basic refresher, this session covers everything someone would need to get started at Artisan’s Asylum; basic safety, basic shop layout, drill presses, sanders, bench grinder, and hand power tools.
- Tool Training: Basic Woodworking Machine Tools — Basic training on table saws, chop saws, scroll saws, and woodworking bandsaws
- Tool Training: Advanced Woodworking Machine Tools — Basic training on jointers, planers, routers and router tables, and advanced table saw setups
- Tool Training: Basic Metalworking Machine Tools — Basic training on sheet metal tools, chop saws, hand grinders, cutoff wheels, metal bandsaws, and spot welders
- Tool Training: Basic Electronics Tools — Training on wire cutters, soldering stations, board vises, multimeters, stereoscope, electronics bandsaws, ESD mats, and more.
Sneak Peak: Some Classes on Sale now for February!
- NEW! Intro to 3D Modeling with Autodesk 123D, Thursdays 2/2-3/22 — For those of you interested in computer-aided design and manufacturing, this class offers an 8-week introduction to Autodesk 123D, a free 3D modeling program useful for both engineering and artistic modeling.
- Intro to Woodworking: Build a Box, Wednesdays, 2/22-3/21 — This class is an introduction to fine woodworking techniques, including reviewing types of wood and their appropriate uses, joinery techniques, finishing techniques, and learning the proper use of most of the tools in the woodshop
- Metalworking Intensive, Wednesdays, 2/8-2/29 — In this class, the instructors will guide students through professional-grade steel construction skills in the building of metal worktables for Artisan’s Asylum. By the end of the session, students will have learned all the skills necessary to building load-bearing steel structures, including cutting, milling, grinding, jigging, and MIG welding.
- Manual Machining & Layout (Machining Like A Pro), 1 SEAT LEFT! Thursdays 2/16-3/22 — An expansion on our classic metal machining class, this 6-week course will teach you not only the operation of the milling machine and the metal lathe, but also the layout and design skills necessary to help you to make metal parts to exacting specifications like a pro.
- Fire-Eating & Fleshing, Sundays, 2/5-2/26: In this 4-week session, trained fire professionals Julia and Dominique will take you through introductory to advanced fire eating and contact fire while providing the tools you need to continue exploring the element of fire on your own.
See below for the classes that have already sold out. If you want to be contacted when new sessions of these classes are posted, put yourself on the waiting list!
- Bucky’s Buddies: Building Temporary Structures
- Woodworking Intensive: Cabinetry
- Intro to Woodworking: Build a Box
- Intro to TIG Welding: JANUARY
- Intro to TIG Welding: FEBRUARY
- Metalworking Intensive
- Sculptural Metalworking
- Manual Machining & Layout (Machining Like A Pro), Thursdays and Tuesdays
- Introduction to Computer-Aided Manufacturing, Saturday 1/21
- Introduction to Computer-Aided Manufacturing, Saturday 1/14
- Introduction to Foam Fabrication
- Introduction to Arduino