Exciting April Classes Still On Sale!
The below is just a selection of the classes we have available right now. For the full listing of classes on sale, check out our Current Class Offerings page.
Classes defying categories:
- Introduction to Foam Fabrication, Sundays, April 1 – May 6 — The much-demanded foam class returns, new and improved! Learn the ins and outs of creating foam sculpture and prototypes, from hand-sized pieces to 15′ catfish. This class addresses carving, sanding, and finishing techniques with a professional foam sculptor.
- Overthrow Sound: A first course in electronic music production, Wednesdays April 4-25 — Learn how to produce all sorts of electronic music in the Ableton Live/Suite environment, with a number of other add-ons and programs to help your composition. Students will learn how to write songs using software synthesizers, record live instruments, modify sounds, create effects, write drum beats, make remixes of their favorite tunes, and create the mashups of their dreams. Jam with classmates and the instructor as you learn how to produce your own music from scratch! (Brought to you by CEMMI.)
- Bucky’s Buddies: Building Temporary Structures, Thursdays, April 5-26 – Bevan’s famous dome class returns! If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to build large, tough structures cheaply, this class is for you. Come learn how to design and build geodesic structures out of wood and metal!
- Special Event! Urban Poultry 101, Friday, April 13, 7:30-9:30PM — Love the localvore movement? Ever thought you might like to try keeping your own chickens? Come get a rundown of popular breeds, coop design, logistics, laws and zoning, info on how to appease your neighbors and everything else you might want to know about keeping urban poultry. The instructor will hopefully have a few members of her flock along for you to meet in person and if they cooperate, students might receive fresh eggs, too!
- Special Event! Design Challenge @ Artisan’s Asylum: Trebuchets, Sunday, April 22 – Sunday, April 29 — Presenting the second Artisan’s Asylum Design Challenge! In these challenges, small teams of competitors are given a goal for a project to build, a kit of parts, and a short timeframe to build said project. At the end of their allotted time, teams compete in a public unveiling to show off their creations! This time, we’re building trebuchets… and we’re launching them in front of a crowd on the Cambridge Common! This design challenge is being run in coordination with the Cambridge Science Festival.
- NEW! Introduction to VJing – Realtime Visual Performance, Mondays, April 2-23 — Learn the craft of the video jockey! This class will introduce you to the fundamentals of the art of video in a live setting. We’ll cover the hardware, software, and the finer techniques of how to get your VJ skills off the ground. (Brought to you by CEMMI.)
Electronics & Robotics
- NEW! Breadboard to Circuitboard, Wednesdays, April 4-25 — Go from prototype to professional! This class will help you take a circuit that works on your breadboard and create a fancy, professional-quality circuitboard for it. Students will learn how to enter a circuit into a free schematic capture program, create a netlist file, import the netlist into a free layout program, produce Gerber files to send to a PCB production house, and produce a BOM (Bill of Materials) for professional board production.
- Sculptural Metalworking, 1 SEAT LEFT! Saturdays, April 7 – May 12 — Ecco’s popular metal sculpture class returns, improved and extended! This class is intended to be an introduction to sculptural metalworking techniques, featuring MIG welders, spot welders, and cold forming. Students will learn how to express themselves artistically through steel.
- Intro to TIG Welding: APRIL, Mondays, April 2-23 and Tuesdays, April 3-24 — Come learn how to weld with Skunk! TIG welding is a precise type of welding generally used to make space frames (like bicycle frames) and small pieces. Students learn operation of a TIG welder and a large range of supporting equipment for a variety of materials and joint types.
- Metalworking Intensive: APRIL, 2 SEATS LEFT! Wednesdays, April 4-25 — In this class, the instructors will guide students through professional-grade steel construction skills in the building of metal worktables for Artisan’s Asylum. By the end of the session, students will have learned all the skills necessary to building load-bearing steel structures, including cutting, milling, grinding, jigging, and MIG welding.
- Woodworking Intensive: Cabinetry, Mondays, April 23 – May 30 — This is a woodworking class for anyone looking to work on a large scale. Pete, master craftsman, will be guiding students through the construction of cabinets for the Artisan’s Asylum woodshop. By the end of the session, students will know how to use almost every tool in the woodshop at an intermediate level.
Sewing & Fiber Arts
- NEW! Sewing Knits (Without a Serger), Tuesdays, April 3 & 10 — We’re happy to announce that Lucinda Campbell, fiber artist and blogger (http://sewwrong.blogspot.com) is joining our teaching team! In this class, face your fears and learn how to confidently sew knits fabrics on a straight stitch machine. For beginning-intermediate sewers and above.
- NEW! Pattern-making: Knock-off Your Favorite T-shirt, Tuesdays, April 17 – May 1 — We’re happy to announce that Lucinda Campbell, fiber artist and blogger (http://sewwrong.blogspot.com) is joining our teaching team! In this class, learn to make patterns from your favorite clothing items to reproduce en masse. Even learn variations to alter that pattern to create design variations! For intermediate sewers comfortable sewing knit fabrics.
Bicycle Maintenance & Repair
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance: APRIL, 2 SEATS LEFT! Wednesdays, April 4-25 — You may know how to ride your bicycle, but if you don’t know how to take care of it you’ll end up losing speed, causing damage, or stranded with a flat tire. Get your bike skills in shape before you hit the road again in the spring!
- Advanced Bicycle Maintenance: APRIL, Mondays, April 2-23 — If you want to get deeper into the workings of your bicycle, this is the class for you! Learn skills like rear hub overhaul (rebuilding), truing your wheels, headset overhaul, and front derailleur adjustments.