A foundation Python3 class intended for those who have no prior knowledge of the language where we will learn how to ‘get things done quickly’. Due to its straightforward syntax, dynamic data typing and the availability of a multitude of add-on library modules, it is an excellent software platform for rapid software development. Of particular advantage is that the Python is an interpreted language allowing each line or section of code to be tested in isolation. Students will learn the basic syntax of the language and how to bootstrap their knowledge with the addition of new commands and library modules as they are needed. The class will be taught on Raspberry Pi computers specifically configured with the required library modules. We will give a simple examples of the use of the language to access and manipulate data in an Excel file and how to utilize a computer vision techniques in images acquired in the system camera. After the class, for those who are interested, we will show students how to install Anaconda Python on their laptops.
– Python programming environment
– Thonny and Spyder Integrated Development Environments
– The minor differences; Python2 & Python 3 – Python Lists, Tuples, dictionaries
– Loops, Data Types, Logical structures
– Functions & writing simple programs
– Installing & importing modules
– Accessing and manipulating data in an Excel file
– Acquiring and saving images from cameras
– Touching on computer vision
All materials will be provided. They may want to bring their laptops if the want to install Python at the end of the class.
This class will not run with fewer than 3 students.