We’re happy to announce two new classes that we’ve added to our fall roster, and new sessions or spots opening up for a couple of our sold-out classes! We also have spots still available for a number of other classes; check out the offerings below!
- Intro to Music Theory for the DJ/Electronic Musician, Saturdays, 11/12-12/10: We’re excited to announce our first offering from our partners, the Cambridge Electronic Mixed Media Institute. In four weekly sessions, Jester will guide electronic music mixers (and anyone else interested) through the basic principles of music theory, to help you build your mixed music in key.
- Metalworking Intensive, Wednesdays, 11/16-12/14: The metalshop equivalent to our Woodworking Intensive, in this class Calvin and Edison will guide students through professional-grade steel construction skills in the building of our metal shop worktables. By the end of the session, students will have learned all the skills necessary to building load-bearing steel structures, including cutting, milling, jigging, grinding, and MIG welding.
ADDITIONAL SPOTS NOW AVAILABLE!
- Woodworking Intensive, Mondays and Thursdays 11/3-12/15: Here is a woodshop class for anyone looking to go beyond the basic skills. Peter Montague, professional woodworker, is going to be guiding students through the construction of heavy-duty professional workbenches and cabinets for the new Asylum workshops. By the end of the session, students will learn how to use almost every tool in the woodshop at an intermediate level.
- Electronics Thing-A-Week, Session 6, Wednesday 12/14: Simon Says (Surface Mount Soldering) One session of Drew and Steve’s 6-week electronics kit smorgasbord has new tickets available! Carefully assemble a Simon Says kit that involves surface mount soldering, an extremely challenging type of soldering that is used for very small components.
Sewing & Related Arts
- Wire-frame Costume Building, Saturdays, 11/5-12/17: Use wire frames and buckram, a stiff, starched fabric, to construct dramatic hats, wings, joke ties, or other costume pieces. Perfect if you’re getting ready for Arisia…
- Leather Wallet Making, Wednesdays, 11/9-12/14: Never found that perfect wallet? Now make your own! Emily will guide you through the basics of leatherworking as you piece together a custom leather wallet. Depending on skill and taste, wallets can range from simply elegant to intricately ornate.
Food & Drink
- Coffee-Making Basics, Sundays, 11/6-12/18: Join us Sunday brunchtimes for your weekend coffee fix! Learn everything you’d ever want to know about making coffee well, from coffee basics, to pour-over brewing, to iced coffee methods, professional coffee tasting (cupping), and espresso basics. Choose one or two, or sign up for all six!
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance (Winter Edition), Wednesdays, 11/9-12/14: Get your hands dirty as you learn to keep your ride smooth, swift, and safe, even as the weather starts to turn.
Casting & Moldmaking
- Introduction to Casting & Moldmaking, Tuesdays, 11/8-12/6: Learn the basics of casting from life and from object models, using safe materials to replicate everyday objects in plaster, wax, plastic, or rubber — including your various body parts.
- Cast-a-Candle Workshop, Sunday, 11/13: In case you don’t have time for the full class, Bevan is offering a one-shot casting workshop — learn the basics of casting while making a custom candle in the shape of the object of your choice! Check out the Eventbrite posting to see Bevan’s heart-candle – ventricles and all.
- Fire-Eating & Fleshing, Sundays, 11/13-12/4: In this 4-week session, trained fire professionals Julia and Dominique will take you through introductory to advanced fire eating and contact fire while providing the tools you need to continue exploring the element of fire on your own.
- Jewelry with Resin Inlay, Saturday & Sunday, 12/10 & 11: We’re excited to offer this fun, intensive introduction to a technique that can help you add color to your jewelry and much much more. Karen Christians, founder of Metalwerx, is offering this one-day workshop two days in a row – just in time for holiday present-making!
ALREADY SOLD OUT: Don’t be alarmed! We’ll be offering these classes again in January. For urgent basic tool training in the wood and metal shops, see the Tool Training Sessions below.
- Manual Machining & Layout
- Introduction to TIG Welding (Monday & Tuesday)
- Introduction to Sewing
- Tool Sharpening Workshop
- Electronics Thing-A-Week
TOOL TRAINING SESSIONS
- TT: Basic Machine Tools: For complete novices and as a basic refresher, this session covers everything someone would need to get started at Artisan’s Asylum; basic safety, basic shop layout, drill presses, sanders, bench grinder, and hand power tools.
- TT: Basic Woodworking Machine Tools: Training on table saws, chop saws, radial arm saws, scroll saws, and woodworking bandsaws
- TT: Advanced Woodworking Machine Tools: Training on jointers, planers, routers and router tables, and table saw setups
- TT: Metalworking Machine Tools: Training on sheet metal tools, chop saws, hand grinders, cutoff wheels, metal bandsaws, and spot welder
- TT: Basic Electronics Tools: Training on wire cutters, soldering stations, board vises, multimeters, stereoscope, electronics bandsaws, ESD mats, and more.
- TT: Single-Tool Training: Training on individual tools such as the CNC mill, CNC router, milling machine, MIG welder, lathe, and sewing machines.