After a too-long hiatus, we are overjoyed to announce our first flight of classes in our shiny new space at 10 Tyler Street. The shop is not open to public use yet, but we’re more than half-way through our month’s build-out and we anticipate running our classes as scheduled, beginning November 3.
We have some old classics, and some classes brought to us by new members of our community – we’re incredibly excited!
We’re also introducing Tool Training Sessions for the first time. These 2-3 hour sessions will get you through the basics of how to operate the machinery correctly and safely, without hurting yourself, the machine, or the people around you. They can be bought through Eventbrite or at the front desk, and will be scheduled based on demand. These are not intended to be technique classes, and will only cover basic operation and safety — if you want to learn how to use our tools well, we suggest taking a class series or workshop in the appropriate skill set.
The list of classes is below. See our eventbrite page for photos, full class descriptions and registration!
TOOL TRAINING SESSIONS
- TT: Basic Machine Tools: For complete novices and as a basic refresher, this session covers everything someone would need to get started at Artisan’s Asylum; basic safety, basic shop layout, drill presses, sanders, bench grinder, and hand power tools.
- TT: Basic Woodworking Machine Tools: Training on table saws, chop saws, radial arm saws, scroll saws, and woodworking bandsaws
- TT: Advanced Woodworking Machine Tools: Training on jointers, planers, routers and router tables, and table saw setups
- TT: Metalworking Machine Tools: Training on sheet metal tools, chop saws, hand grinders, cutoff wheels, metal bandsaws, and spot welder
- TT: Basic Electronics Tools: Training on wire cutters, soldering stations, board vises, multimeters, stereoscope, electronics bandsaws, ESD mats, and more.
- TT: Single-Tool Training: Training on individual tools such as the CNC mill, CNC router, milling machine, MIG welder, lathe, and sewing machines.
WORKSHOPS & CLASSES SERIES
- Woodworking Intensive, Thursdays, 11/3-12/15: Here is a woodshop class for anyone looking to go beyond the basic skills. Peter Montague, professional woodworker, is going to be guiding students through the construction of heavy-duty professional workbenches and cabinets for the new Asylum workshops. By the end of the session, students will learn how to use almost every tool in the woodshop at an intermediate level.
- Tool Sharpening Workshop, Wednesday, 11/16: A must for every tool-user! This 3-hour workshop will not only teach you to put enviable edges on your chisels and planes, but how to take care of your tools to keep them sharp.
- Manual Machining & Layout, Thursdays, 11/3-12/15: An expansion on our classic metal machining class, this 6-week course will teach you not only the operation of the milling machine and the metal lathe, but also the layout and design skills necessary to help you to make metal parts to exacting specifications like a pro.
- Introduction to TIG Welding, Mondays and Tuesdays, 11/7-12/6: Come learn how to weld with Skunk! TIG welding is a precise type of welding generally used to make space frames (like bicycle frames) and small pieces. Students learn operation of a TIG welder and a large range of supporting equipment for a variety of materials and joint types.
- Electronics Thing-A-Week, Mondays 11/14-28, Wednesdays 11/30-12/14: Tired of the delayed gratification of long, arduous projects? This six-week smorgasbord is for you! Drew and Steve will be guiding you through a series of electronics kit-based projects from a sound-effect generator to an infrared motion detector – every day you spend with them you can take a finished project home. Discount if you sign up for all six by the end of the first class!
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance (Winter Edition), Wednesdays, 11/9-12/14: Get your hands dirty as you learn to keep your ride smooth, swift, and safe, even as the weather starts to turn.
Sewing & Related Arts
- Introduction to Sewing, Thursdays, 12/1-15: Learn your way around a sewing machine while making a pair of comfortable drawstring pants. You can learn on our machines or bring your own!
- Wire-frame Costume Building, Saturdays, 11/5-12/17: Use wire frames and buckram, a stiff, starched fabric, to construct dramatic hats, wings, joke ties, or other costume pieces. Perfect if you’re getting ready for Arisia…
- Leather Wallet Making, Wednesdays, 11/9-12/14: Never found that perfect wallet? Now make your own! Emily will guide you through the basics of leatherworking as you piece together a custom leather wallet. Depending on skill and taste, wallets can range from simply elegant to intricately ornate.
- Jewelry with Resin Inlay, Saturday & Sunday, 12/10 & 11: We’re excited to offer this fun, intensive introduction to a technique that can help you add color to your jewelry and much much more. Karen Christians, founder of Metalwerx, is offering this one-day workshop two days in a row – just in time for holiday present-making!
Casting & Moldmaking
- Introduction to Casting & Moldmaking, Tuesdays, 11/8-12/6: Learn the basics of casting from life and from object models, using safe materials to replicate everyday objects in plaster, wax, plastic, or rubber — including your various body parts.
- Cast-a-Candle Workshop, Sunday, 11/13: In case you don’t have time for the full class, Bevan is offering a one-shot casting workshop — learn the basics of casting while making a custom candle in the shape of the object of your choice! Check out the Eventbrite posting to see Bevan’s heart-candle – ventricles and all.
- Fire-Eating & Fleshing, Sundays, 11/13-12/4: In this 4-week session, trained fire professionals Julia and Dominique will take you through introductory to advanced fire eating and contact fire while providing the tools you need to continue exploring the element of fire on your own.
Food & Drink
- Coffee-Making Basics, Sundays, 11/6-12/18: Join us Sunday brunchtimes for your weekend coffee fix! Learn everything from coffee basics, to pour-over brewing, to iced coffee methods, professional coffee tasting (cupping), and espresso basics. Choose one or two, or sign up for all six!
Hope to see you soon!